03rd Aug 2021
AUTHOR– SIMRAN PAHUJA
BHARTI VIDHYAPEETH NEW LAW COLLEGE, DEEMED TO BE UNIVERSITY, PUNE
In the recent there has been a rise in the demand for freelancers particularly in the law industry these free lancers are termed or referred to as free lance attorneys or legal consultants. Due to the features of feasibility to work at their stipulated time , energy , scope and self employment has lead to an entice among the individuals which in turn has led to a rise in demand of free lancing as a career as individuals can work from their comfort zones and not constrain or stick themselves to the monotonous law firm environment in particular. Among all the features free lancing serves, the feature of self employment is what entices individual to choose free lancing as their career .
A job of a freelancer in the field of law can lead to a major source of income generation . There might be a lot of people for whom joining a law firm could be a tedious task or could not be a job they desire for . Freelancing could take a lead in the same. Freelancing not only helps to earn a lump sum amount of income but also at the same time helps to develop various kind of hobbies the individual is interested in . Emerging technology , budget – conscious client and changing ways of doing business has lead to a new breed of legal professionalism and thus , the demand for freelancers is taking a lead .
WHAT ACTUALLY IS FREE LANCING
Freelancers are independent contractors or self employed individuals who work from home or remote location . The boost in science and technology and the advent of internet smartphones databases etc. have made it feasible to work from the comfort of your home or a remote location .
Law individuals as freelancer do not work for a particular client but they being independent contractors work for various clients all over . There are various firms who are over loaded with tasks to be performed with a given time period here comes in the role of a freelancer, These organizations or client heirs freelancers specialized in a particular field and payment is done in accordance to stipulated work take. The job of freelancing is solely dependent on the individuals opting for it as it is upon him how much monetary benefit he requires and how much work he could complete in the allotted time slots after analyzing the same a freelancer could assemble his work force and target account to his monetary requirements
Kristin Tyler the cofounder of Law Clerk explains how well qualified attorneys became freelance lawyers ” They came form every background you can think of “ , she explains . “We’ve got law professors that freelance. We’ve got former Big Law attorneys with really specialized knowledge of really high level legal areas that have gotten burnt out or don’t want to do the Big Law race anymore, and so now they want to do freelance work. We’ ve got lawyers that safety home with kids or elderly parents. We’ve got retired and semiretired lawyers with decade of experience.” (lawyer portal .com blog , n.d.)
There are various individuals who have to safety at home due to prevailing circumstances but also at the same time want to step in the legal industry for them the job of freelancing works the best. 
PANDEMIC AND FREE LANCING
Covid – 19 has affected various firms in a negative way there may be an merging silver lining for freelance lawyers. As Kristin Tyler notes in this episode of the daily matters podcast, some firms are using the moment to make out possible to outsource going forward. ” They ‘ re taking that time and using it to finally setup the system and processes that they’ve wanted to set up to properly delegate to freelancers. ” (lawyer portal .com blog , n.d.) she says.
STEPS TO BECOME A FREE LANCE LAWYER
- Determine your Legal service
- Register your service
- Administrative Task
- Get a website
- Start a blog
- Keep patience
- Determine your legal service : This is the very crucial step in your journey as a freelancer . Determine the type of legal services required by your clients , choose a specific area to concentrate your work. Researching is the key to success , researching about the particular field of interest has always served as a lead to individuals therefore ,always do some research before taking the plunge when shifting your legal career toward a freelancer.
- Register your service: Once the area you want to work in is decided the next step is to initiate legal registration of your service . Are you going to be a sole proprietor ? A limited liability firm or a company considering the difference between the three will help decide whether you want to operate your service on freelance basis.
- Administrative Task: In order to maintain a coordination between administrative duties and in order to preserve them you may reacquire a separate bank account for the purpose relating to billing and taxes . If you plan on working solely without compliance of help or without the support of legal assistance, consider using lawyer accounting software. These lawyer accounting software would not only help you automate repitative task but also serve as a tool for calendaring, documents management, billing, invoicing, time tracking etc .
- Networking: Networking basically means interconnecting people or accustoming people with the services you offer . A network helps you to share these services to the people at large once the initial foundation of determining of legal services, registering yourself and following up your administrative task you are now ready to share your services to the clients at large. Networking is the key to success in a freelance business because the more the network of individuals you are connected the more is the growing scope . Lawyers working in a law firm generally target individuals and other business for work . The clients you’ll often find as a freelance lawyer will typically come from other lawyers and law firms . Individually having a bucket list of contracts , this is the best place to start searching for business .Networking could be done by setting up various accounts on social networking websites and share your services in order to expand them . LinkedIn is one of the major source of connecting is one of the major source of connecting professionals and individuals of your field various other sites to job opportunities are my are My Practice , Attorney Online , International Lawyers Network etc.
- Get a Website : Once accustoming people regarding the servicer you offer the next step is to set up a website of your own . A website basically helps to offer competitive advantage to a freelance lawyer . If you decide to get a website it is very important to understand how to operate and use that particular website in order to benefit your business . If you are tight on budget then are various local SEO methods that can help you secure your purpose but , if you could spent money you can try advertising your service using Google Pc or Facebook ads .
- Start a Blog : Blogging is a great way to spread knowledge to individuals . A freelance lawyer specialized in a particular field could write blogs regarding their area of knowledge . The various benefits of blogging are free services promotion . Thus, helps to improve your SEO , make connections with prospective clients and build credible reputation online .
- Be Patient : Success is a slow process and requires time therefore, patience is the key to success . Try and make a strategic plan , dedicate your time and efforts and be patient . There is a the factual situation of leap and fall in every business therefore , the beginning will be some of the toughest moments until the momentum builds and your reputation spreads amongst your community
To conclude, Freelancing is a very good option to consider in the legal field, Flexible hours, long vacations, and the ability to choose and choose your assignments. Yeah, it’s a possibility for lawyers if you become a legal freelancer, an opportunity that appeals to more lawyers every year. Lawyer Exchange, Montage Legal Group, Legal Bee, Aggregate Law, Hire an Esquire, and several other companies have been set up to directly connect independent lawyers to law firms.
- Advancing to the future : the developing freelance ecosystem in the legal world – iPleaders
*The views in this article are author’s point of view. BSK Legal may or may not subscribe to the views of the author. This article is not intended to substitute legal advice. Any portion or part of this article can be reproduced, copied or used, in whole or in part, after giving due credit to the publisher. The Copyright of the article is with the author.